Let’s usher in the start of summer with one of the best outdoor activities Arizona has to offer… Salt River Tubing! We’ll meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Salt River Tubing and Recreation Center (www.saltrivertubing.com) where we’ll all get get quickly acquainted, rent our tubes, board a shuttle to our launch point and allow the river to take us on a relaxing journey through some spectacular scenery. Once we wash up on-shore, we can head over to Chapparal Park for a potluck/picnic.
Here are some pro-tips for you:
• The cost per person, which includes tube rental and all-day shuttle service, is $17. Please note that a valid drivers licence or other identification is required for tube rental deposit. If you have your own tube, shuttle service is $14 per person (size restrictions apply).
• Please bring an old bed sheet to cover your tube (it is going to get hot) and wear a hat, sunglasses and water shoes (your flip-flops may get lost). Of course, if you do not want to fry like a Salt River fish, please remember to also bring plenty of sunscreen.
• If anyone has an extra tube and a cooler – or, better yet, a floating cooler (not Styrofoam) – please bring it so that we can put any snacks and beverages in it. Please note that glass containers are prohibited by law so only plan on bringing plastic or can containers instead.
• Some of us will be bringing rope to tie our tubes together so that nobody gets left behind (or swept away). Please note that while this is not technically “against the rules,” the Salt River Tubing and Recreation Center generally advises against it.
• And last but not least, one single solitary word: Marshmallows!